-->

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Vegetable Kootan with a difference...




Have you ever had days when you looked at the crisper draw of the fridge and found absolutely nothing in there that inspires you to make dinner?

All those who have, say Aye.

I had a couple of carrots and a zucchini and I just didn't know what to make with it. My two guys prefer boldly flavored vegetable dishes and I have to really try hard some days not to drown the vegetables in spices but still flavor them enough so my two year old ASKS for more. That, my friends is a successful recipe.

So I came up with this one. I added some dried shrimp to make it more interesting.. The crispy crackly shrimp, carrots caramelized to golden perfection, juicy zucchini, plump peas... It was a party in the mouth...texture and flavor-wise.

Vegetable Kootan

Carrots- 2 medium dice
zucchini-1 medium dice
peas- 1/4 cup
shallots-2
garlic-1 chopped fine
coconut-3 tblsps
dried shrimp-3 tblsp
mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
cumin seeds- 1/4 tsp
garam masala- 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Cayenne powder- a pinch
soy sauce-1 tsp
salt to taste

Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds.
Once the mustard seeds pop and cumin seeds brown, add the carrots, zucchini, peas, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala, soy sauce and cayenne powder.
Mix well, turn the flame to medium-low and cover the pan.
Stir as needed so the vegetables dont stick to the bottom of the pan.
Once the vegetables are cooked, add the coconut and shrimp and mix well.

No comments: